Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Recon!

This is a "Mixed Panzerspah Platoon" consisting of two patrols. Each patrol has one Sd Kfz 221 (MG) armored car and one Sd Kfz 222 (2cm) armored car it. This platoon can be used with almost any of the early war German TO&E lists in the Blitzkrieg book. Most interesting to me may be the Kradschutzenkompanie (Motorcycle Rifle Company) which can take three armored car platoons: a light platoon consisting of 3 or 6 Sd Kfz 221 (MG) armored cars, a mixed platoon consisting of 1-4 patrols such as these and a heavy platoon consisting of 2,4 or 6 Sd Kfz 231 (6-rad) or (8-rad) armored cars. Pair this up with two platoons of motorcycle infantry and you have an all recon force that should be quite interesting to command on the table top.

The Sd Kfz 222 (2cm) is my favorite early war armored car. Armed with both a 2cm main gun, a turret-mounted coax heavy MG and a self-defense AA MG, these are some very mobile gun platforms. These aren't going to go toe to to with enemy tanks, but they do have enough sting in them to give some light armor trouble in the right situations.
The Sd Kfz 221 (MG) armored cars share a similar chassis with the 222, but mount only the turret-mounted machine gun. The blisters for the 221s also contained the externally-mounted 2cm gun. I painted these up as well as the machine gun turrets instead of just tossing them into my spare parts bin. I think they actually look really fun. Hopefully the upcoming early war Africa campaign book will have this as an option so I can utilize these turrets.

Next up on the painting table is a return to working on my flame thrower infantry stands. 

6 comments:

Beccas said...

Nice work.

Broeders said...

Nice units AJ.

Where are they from?

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Battlefront miniatures. Painted by myself.

DaveC64 said...

They look lovely, did they cost much???

http://epicwargaming.com/blog/?p=427

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Battlefront miniatures are on the top-end as far as retail prices, but I think they're worth the price because they're very nice miniatures. If I'm going to spend my time painting figures I'd prefer them to be high quality.

AdamC1776 said...

Great work. Nice meeting you Friday at the Club Game night. If you ever need a French infantry company to fight let me know.