Thursday, July 4, 2024

28mm Austrian 1849 Grenadiers

Here are the first figures that I've painted up for my Risorgimento project. These are 1849 Austrian Grenadiers with their awesome bearskin hats. Similar to Ed's Austrian Grenadiers, I'll not hesitate to also use these for the Hungarian revolt if I choose to do that conflict with this army. As Ed says, "Everything is OK in Chocolate Box Wars!"

These are Keelmen Miniatures from their Hungarian revolt line. They're a touch larger than Perry and Foundry, but not enough to bother with. They seem quite compatible with the Gringo40 and Pirans Warriors figures that I'm using with the rest of this army. In any case, with a less popular period like this, it's catch-as-catch-can for figures. When someone makes the exact figure you need, it's a lot easier to use it than to go the figure conversion route. I'll be doing plenty of that for this project though, I'm sure.

I've used a mix of 'contrast' and traditional paints on these figures. The fur packs just cried out for some 'Gore Grunta Fur' contrast paint and the white uniforms I used Vallejo Xpress Color 'Templar White'. After that it's mostly standard acrylics including highlighting the leather belts with some Monument Hobbies Pro Acyl 'Bold Titanium White'. This was my first job for this highly acclaimed white paint and it did not disappoint with great coverage in one coat. Granted, that was applying it over an already off-white surface. 

Next up on the painting table are, some 1949 Grenzers for the Austrians.




Update: Thanks to my friend Ed seeing these in person, he noticed that I inadvertently forgot to paint the badges on the front of the bearskins on these. This has now been corrected as seen to the left.  Thanks Ed!




6 comments:

Donnie McGibbon said...

Those grenadiers are rather good, very nicely painted and very nice looking figures, very impressive bearskins!

Old Nick said...

These are outstanding!

Ed M said...

Actually, those are Hungarian Revolt-era Grenadiers (1848-49), and are contemporary with the first Italian War of Independence. It's the second (with Garibaldi) that came later, 1859. It's all good! They came out nicely!

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Thanks for the correction Ed. I've updated the text to be less inaccurate.

Ed M said...

Just trying to keep you from buying extra figs :)

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Note to Ed and anyone else following this. See the note and additional photo I added at the bottom of this post.