Thursday, July 11, 2013

Satatoga Battlefield National Park

The second historical stop during our vacation at Lake George, NY was to visit the Saratoga Battlefield National Park. As all of my AWI armies are tailored for the 1777, specifically the Saratoga campaign this visit has been on my 'to-do' list for a long time. The park does not disappoint. The national park service has preserved a large portion of the land on which the battle occurred and has done a good job of indicating the locations of works on the battlefields where appropriate. The visitor's center has a good movie, a modest collection of artifacts and an excellent 'electronic map' showing both engagements during the campaign. The park is well staffed and some rangers and licensed guides are present in period clothing for an extra added touch. I did notice some of the plaques could use a good cleaning and some of the wooden gun carriages could use some maintenance, or better replacing with metal replacements such as the ones used by the civil war battlefield parks, appropriately modified for an AWI look of course.

The title picture is the Benedict Arnold 'Boot' monument. I apologize for the lack of many outdoors photos from the battlefield as it was pouring when I visited, somewhat ruining most of my photographs. A return visit has already been put on my 'to-do' list as well as a visit to the Fort Anne museums nearby. Below is a collection of photos from my visit that I hope you will enjoy.



















2 comments:

PanzerKaput said...

This is great as I love battlefields and especially ones I more than likely never get to. I love reading these

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

It looks real neat and something I'd like to visit someday.

Christopher