Saturday, August 18, 2018

Pimp Your Craters - Part Three - Finished

This is part three of Pimp Your Craters. See part one here and part two here.

Step 6 - finish painting by hand: I started off with a two-inch house painting brush and some cheap craft paints in various shades of brown. I followed this up with a one-inch hobby brush with various greys and sand colors using hobby paints streaking the craters from the center out to the edge. I then picked out some rocks and painted them various earth shades and followed up with a detail dry brush in selected areas. A final darkening at the impact point was done with dirty black to give it a scorched look.

I wanted these to look like blasted earth and not part of the moon. To achieve this I tried to stay away from grey as much as possible and stick with a earth palette. I'm pretty happy with this decision, although a bit too much grey still ended up coming through in the end.

I'm counting these as five terrain/misc created in the annual painting totals. Even though they were just re-paints, I put enough time into them for them to count.



3 comments:

Mark Decoteau said...

AJ - These look great. They will be a terrific addition to your game day table.

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Thanks Mark!

Scott MacPhee said...

They came out great! Thanks for sharing your process.