Thursday, May 23, 2013

28mm Ancient Gaul Cavalry

This is a battle group of 28mm Gaul cavalry for my Carthiginian army for our upcoming first Punic War campaign. They are based for Field of Glory rules. The figures are all Old Glory figures from their cavalry and command packs. A lot of gamers put their Gauls in very bright clothing. I just don't feel it looks right that way. On campaign such clothes just wouldn't keep their colors or hold up. Instead I've chosen what I believe are more period appropriate colors. The shields are hand painted. I'm not thrilled with them, but it's the best I can do free hand. Some of the shirts and pants are striped or plaid. I chose to do enough to get the impression of the correct cloths being used, but also allowed for some replacement clothing during a long campaign made from the cloths of the conquered. Again I feel this is a good historical choice....it's also easier on the brush strokes.

I've been posting a lot of my re-basing work on Ebay-purchased Napoleonic lead. These ancients were not purchased painted. I painted them up myself. Next up on the painting table is a large horde of Numidian skirmishers.




7 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

very nice, love the hand painted shields.

adeptgamer said...

These are excellent and don't knock your free hand work so much, it is quite good. Freehand has such a rich quality to it that decals just don't capture I encourage you to keep at it!

Oh, and Ray's picture is wildly freaky. I think that every time I see it.

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

I think they look nice!

Christopher

Giles said...

Terrific stuff, AJ. I completely agree on the colours - bright colours just don't look right on these sorts of troops.

Best wishes

Giles

The Kiwi said...

Great looking unit. Great job.
cheers

AdamC1776 said...

I agree AJ weathered colors are best and Plaid in any scale is a challenge. Good job I like the look and I think your shields are excellent

PanzerKaput said...

They are lovely painted figures there and the shield set them off well