Saturday, February 15, 2020

Gold Squadron Podcast Prize and X-Wing Galactic Republic Ships

I've been playing Fantasy of Flight Games X-Wing 2.0 game for a while now with several members of my club.  When 2.0 came out additional factions were added. Based on my collection at the time I decided to fly the Galactic Empire, Rebel Alliance and Scum & Villainy factions, giving the other up as 'too much of a good thing'.

In truth, the Scum & Villainy faction saw most of my play time. Something about the eclectic collection of ships is a puzzle I really enjoy trying to solve. Tractor beams are a particular favorite.

As  a fan of the game I'm also a huge fan of the Gold Squadron Podcast. Their name is a bit of a misnomer as they also make copious amounts of YouTube content and broadcast major X-wing tournaments around the world (literally) on their Twitch.tv channel. During their broadcasts they do many giveaways including alternate art pilot cards, acrylic tokens, 3-D printed X-wing play aids, and other goodies. The most fantastic prizes are custom painted ships, usually painted by their on-stream painter Luke Carrington of the Gold Squadron Paintcast. As a X-wing ship re-painter myself I can tell you Luke's stuff is amazing...truly top notch.

A few months ago I was very fortunate and won the grand price a their broadcast of the Nova System Open. The prize was two custom painted Delta-7 Aethersprites and a Naboo starfighter. At the time one of the top tournament lists was this exact ship composition with Obi Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker in the Delta-7s and Rick Ole in the Naboo. The prize was a painted ready-to play Galactic Republic force for X-wing. While waiting for these beautiful ships to arrive I also picked up an extra Naboo and the Guardians of the Republic box set with two V-19 torrents and a third Jedi starfighter. I'm now a four-faction X-wing player. Well I WILL be once I actually fly the new ships in a game.

Thanks to Luke for doing a great job on the paint jobs and to the whole Gold Squadron Podcast team for providing such great tournament coverage with such excellent prize support. A close up of Luke's paint jobs can be seen in the photo below.


These have found a new home on the X-Wing shelf in my figure cabinets.





No comments: