Friday, July 5, 2024

28mm Austrian Grenzers

This is another unit for my Austrian army for the Italian Risorgimento project. These are Keelmen miniatures. My friend Ed gave me the tip that if I painted these up in pink facings they could also represent one of the few Grenzer units that fought for the Hungarians during the Hungarian revolution. Not wanting to pass up the extra utility I took Ed's excellent suggestion. There's also the bonus that you don't get to use pink facings and piping often when painting figures. You can read more about Ed's Grenzer shuffle on his blog.

I'm happy that Chocolate Box Wars allows you to paint units with only six figures. Any more and the piping on these might have been too much for me to handle. Even at 28mm scale, it's quite fiddly to paint accurately. I am happy with the final result, although there was some profanity involved in the process. For the pink I used a base of Pro Acryl bold titanium white with Vallejo red added to taste. The coverage of this mix was fantastic. Even over the medium brown I got full coverage in a single coat. I continue to be impressed with the Pro Acryl bold titanium white. 

 

Next up on the painting table some Piedmont Bersaglieri from Gringo40 miniatures.

2 comments:

Ed M said...

The pictures are nice, but they don't do the figures justice. I had the pleasure of seeing these in person (and the grenadiers). Very cool!

Donnie McGibbon said...

Very nice figures and really good work on them, they look great.